Welcome admin !

It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:41 pm
Pathway:  Board index General Discussion Forum and Lounge Fun and Games

Pissing with Roshi

Pissing with Roshi

Postby chairmanMeow on Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:38 am

I used to go to this zendo near my old house in chicago, the place was small you could hear cars and people talking as they would pass, upstairs was an apartment someone had a dog you could hears romping around now and then... I used to hate all the noise.
Have you seen the old footage of Shunryu Suzuki Roshi talking about sound and noise? http://youtu.be/pHNyCAJXUXE
Well one day I was sitting and started to realize how much I actually love all this sound... they had a habit of dimming the lights made it hard to focus, silent zendo's always make it hard for me to be "here", when being here is more like a sensory deprivation tank, Iv come to immensely enjoy the anchors of "singing with the bird" paying with that stupid dog upstairs, riding the green line train the few blocks I can hear it zooming along the rails across the street.

Now Roshi is old... very very old and he loves to drink his tea. His bladder is not so big, so every session toward the middle the old mans bladder fills to the brim and he inevitably has to take a piss mid session. Now when I say this zendo was small I cant stress how itty bitty it was, we had a bathroom right in the hall.

So it hits me one day, the sound I hated was something I enjoyed and I sung with the birds and played with the dog and walked with the people talking about whatever happened that day... then it happened... Roshi had to take his what sounded like a 5 gallon piss... I didnt want to piss with Roshi.

I cracked up harder than I have in a very long time... I actually had to get up and go outside for some air I laughed so hard. The serious face of those trying for enlightenment around me made for a contrast that only made me laugh even harder. I seriously practice not taking life too seriously, that day I learned for myself why monks always have big grinning smiles, this whole arrangement of life its just too goddamn funny not to smile. Dontchya think?
Buddhism is to life, whats salt is to food.
Iv never walked into a restaurant and ordered a bowl of salt, have you?
chairmanMeow

Re: Pissing with Roshi

Postby Linda Anderson on Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:45 am

:lol2:

so it goes.. don't forget to walk the dog...

years ago, I sat in a small zendo above Art's Crab Shack (a bar with crabs) in a shady part of town... noise and all. The tea tasted the same and the candle still burned.
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby macdougdoug on Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:27 am

Yo! when the garbage truck and the temple bell.
macdougdoug
Global Moderator

Postby Linda Anderson on Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:48 am

as I heard it, the koan goes: stop the sound of the temple bell

.... or could we say, stop the sound of the garbage truck, stop the the sound at Art's
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Return to Fun and Games