Welcome admin !

It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:34 am
Pathway:  Board index General Discussion Forum and Lounge Fun and Games

this time... i get it

this time... i get it

Postby klqv on Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:30 am

Background: mctaggert is a philosopher about 100 years old that said that the A series of time, which is flux rather than block time, was such that it mustn't be real, cos there's no way to say that an event has only one tense, if it will at some stage have every tense.
Preliminaies: In the A series things seem to be in flux whereas the D series is the illusion of something, death, getter closer and staying the same length away: because I know that thing is not present and so never will be.
The A series is like a dream inside the D series which is like a dream inside the A series.
The content of dreams aren't real. When I dream inside a dream I am not really dreaming about what occurs in the shorter dream; what I really dream is what I merely seem to experience in the shorter dream.
Argument: Assume that in an illusion what I only seem to experience, what I am mistaken about, is its structure.
Assume any dream I am in I am really dreaming, is an actual dream.
It follows that only the structure of things in time are about an actual dream.
In summary: The A series I call causation. The D series I call emptiness. The unreality of the A series I call the real truth. I call structure the middle way.
God is dead!
klqv

Re: this time... i get it

Postby klqv on Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:40 am

that went badly :heya: :rbow: :rbow:
God is dead!
klqv

Postby Linda Anderson on Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:43 pm

:heya: it was beyond me ... :daisy:

The gravity of the Tang and the profundity of the Sung
make heavy baggage.
Here! I've picked you a bunch of wildflowers.
Their meaning is the same
but they're much easier to carry.
~ Hsu Yun (China, 19th century)
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby klqv on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:08 am

:heya:

no one .. ?
God is dead!
klqv

Postby Chrisd on Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:44 pm

To me the word illusion is significant because it points out that we should be very careful about attaching ourselves to stuff.
This is also the significance of the analogy of the dream. You don't attach to dreams, don't be silly :lol2:

The Middle Way then is a practical method of realizing this truth in daily life so that it does not remain a conceptual idea but actually leads to the ending of suffering and the resultant happiness. This practicality of the Middle Way functions according to causation. Suffering has a cause, we seek to remove the cause so that it no longer arises.

To each his own :heya:
Chrisd

Postby klqv on Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:02 am

what do you mean "you don't attach to dreams" i was suggesting we dream inside dreams, i didn't mention attachment ?? :Namaste:
God is dead!
klqv

Postby Chrisd on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:54 am

Considering dreams are not real, you're not going to make a big fuss out of them, are you? They're just dreams, after all. That's why I said you don't attach to dreams.

One point though, the dream analogy doesn't quite cut it in real life, because especially in the beginning I think some form of attachment is useful.

Ajahn Chah wrote:The Buddha taught that in the beginning stages of Dhamma practice you should work very hard, develop things thoroughly and attach a lot. Attach to the Buddha. Attach to the Dhamma. Attach to the Sangha. Attach firmly and deeply. That's what the Buddha taught. Attach with sincerity and persistence and hold on tight.

I think the dream theory might be most practical in dealing with desires. It's no use desiring to have all this stuff in your life, because it's like dream-stuff. Better to try to wake up from the dream, and then see what's what. And you do that by attaching yourself to the Buddha-Dharma.

Something like that :rbow:
Chrisd

Postby klqv on Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:06 am

no no THIS time i get it.

A series B series check it!

If McTaggert is right that every A fact is past present and future, then A facts are constantly repeating themselves. i THINK...
... but there's no absolute beginning to repetition, because something must exist before something can repeat. BUT an absolute end is possible BOOM it stops repeating :)

and then there's the opposite thing with B facts: they begin but can never end.

if the B series has no end, then no point along it is an end. the inverse for the A series...

but if the A series psychologically reduces to the B, then every end is a beginning. there is no past present or future, "time" is just a never ending FLUXY thing where we experience beginning and nother else :)
God is dead!
klqv

Postby klqv on Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:12 am

Suppose that experiences really do change: when an experience of an event occurs along the B series the experience occurs along the A. And that no tensed fact about anything along the A series is never present: so nothing along the A series has begun but will never begin, or has ended but will never end.
So when an experience of an event occurs along the B series the experience cannot have ended unless it will not never begin, because only then has it begun, to end.
And anything that ever begins is a beginning. So every experience along the B series is always either a beginning or has not ended.

THE INSTANT AT THE END OF LIFE DOES NOT BEGIN OR END BUT THE EVENT AT THE END OF LIFE BEGINS AT SOME POINT AS LONG AS IT HAS NOT ENDED: AND SO NEVER ENDS UNLESS IT IS BEGINNING.
God is dead!
klqv

Postby klqv on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:08 pm

no this time lol

Any event can only happen for one unbroken interval: if an event ends the same event cannot begin again.
So the same event can only occur in both the past and future if it is happening now.
So only events that are present can have more than one tense. So nothing can make a future event occur before another: the future can occur in any order. Things that will begin and end cannot end before they have begun, so things which will begin cannot end.
God is dead!
klqv

Return to Fun and Games