Welcome admin !

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:54 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Rinzai

Ordinary selves

Discussion of Japanese Rinzai Zen (臨済宗) including Obaku Zen (黄檗宗).

Ordinary selves

Postby Oushi on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:19 pm

Here are few quotes from Teachings of Linji. Can someone provide skillful interpretation?
Followers of the Way, the Buddha-Dharma needs no skilled application. Just be your ordinary selves with nothing further to seek, relieving nature, wearing robes and eating. “When tired I sleep. Fools laugh at me, the wise understand.”
[...]
As I see it, there is nothing complicated. Just be your ordinary selves in an ordinary life, wear your robes and eat your food, and having nothing further to seek, peacefully pass your time.
From everywhere you have come here; all of you eagerly seek the Buddha, the Dharma, and deliverance; you seek escape from the Three Worlds.You foolish people, if you want to get out of the Three Worlds, where then can you go?
[...]
Venerable ones, just be your ordinary selves and refrain from fanciful imaginings.
There are old bald-heads who cannot tell true from false. They see gods and devils; they point to the east or indicate the west; they fancy fine weather or are fond of rain; and so they carry on and on. One day they will have to face Yama (Judge of the Dead) to repay their debts and swallow red-hot iron balls, for men and women misled by the antics of such wild fox sprites, get entangled in their fables.
[...]
Nothing is more precious than to be a man who has nothing further to seek. Just do not give rise to any fancies, and be your ordinary selves.

Thx in advance.
:Namaste:
"You have always been One with the Buddha.
So do not pretend that you can attain this Oneness by various practices" - Huang Po
Oushi

Re: Ordinary selves

Postby Seeker242 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:08 pm

Just be your ordinary selves with nothing further to seek

Often easier said than done! :lol2:
Kill a cat, with a dried shit stick, under a cypress tree in the courtyard, while eating three pounds of flax! Only a cow goes Moooo!
Seeker242

Re: Ordinary selves

Postby Oushi on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:17 pm

Seeker242 wrote:
Just be your ordinary selves with nothing further to seek

Often easier said than done! :lol2:

I would say, easier done than said. ;)
But lets wait...
"You have always been One with the Buddha.
So do not pretend that you can attain this Oneness by various practices" - Huang Po
Oushi

Return to Rinzai