Welcome admin !

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:23 am
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Rinzai

What is "Nio Zen"?

Discussion of Japanese Rinzai Zen (臨済宗) including Obaku Zen (黄檗宗).

What is "Nio Zen"?

Postby JessicaLeigh on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:17 pm

"Nio Zen" is discussed in the book "Introduction to Zen Training." It seems to involve very energetic practices, and great willfulness. I'd love to hear anyone's insight into "Nio zen," particularly seasoned practitioners.

Also, in general, I wonder -- should we force ourselves into deep practice, with great willfulness and effort? Or, should we rather let things come, allowing practice to expand itself without will?

I feel that my practice isn't deep enough! I want some kensho... now!

Thanks for listening all. And wishing you all strong practice.
:Namaste:
"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." -Andrè Gide
JessicaLeigh

Re: What is "Nio Zen"?

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:08 am

Strong practice, Jessica!

(And may you find some of the desired "Dharma Combat" along the way. It's a wonderful and compassionate practice. Not to be found at every sangha or zendo, though. Maybe it could be "instigated", though, by an avid sangha member, and with a complicit Roshi or Sensei prescribing this practice for the sangha, after perhaps some necessary arm-twisting). ;)

BTW, if that's the book, AN INTRODUCTION TO ZEN TRAINING (1996), by Omori Sogen, a Rinzai Master, why not ask Meido Roshi here about it (a Rinzai Master, and Abbot).

I have no idea what "Nio Zen" is. But it's probably "unnecessary". A good, solid 7-day sesshin should begin to answer a number of your questions, and appetites. I hope so! "Nio"?

Go carefully. Go safely. Take the best of care. Please! And throw caution to the wind. Please! :lol2:

Strong practice!, that's a wish I have for All, ...for sure.

:Namaste:,

--Joe

JessicaLeigh wrote:"Nio Zen" is discussed in the book "Introduction to Zen Training." It seems to involve very energetic practices, and great willfulness. I'd love to hear anyone's insight into "Nio zen," particularly seasoned practitioners.

Also, in general, I wonder -- should we force ourselves into deep practice, with great willfulness and effort? Or, should we rather let things come, allowing practice to expand itself without will?

I feel that my practice isn't deep enough! I want some kensho... now!

Thanks for listening all. And wishing you all strong practice.
desert_woodworker

Postby Meido on Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:20 am

Since I'm here I'll butt in before being invited.

RE Nio Zen, this was a term used to describe the fierce, very physical approach to practice taught by Suzuki Shosan, an early Edo-period Soto monk. If you research his name you'll find a few books about him which I think should still be available (Death Was His Koan comes to mind). Interesting stuff on many levels. It also points out one way in which Buddhist iconography may be used. The second passage in this selection reveals the essential thrust:

https://books.google.com/books?id=vJ4oLduDCfgC&lpg=PT620&ots=vxRbue2OEP&dq=nio%20zen&pg=PT620#v=onepage&q=nio%20zen&f=false

Omori Roshi was an admirer, and so mentions him in his work.

JessicaLeigh wrote:Also, in general, I wonder -- should we force ourselves into deep practice, with great willfulness and effort? Or, should we rather let things come, allowing practice to expand itself without will?

Both, of course. The exact recipe, however, depends on the person and the moment in question.

Nio, to set the mood:

Nio.jpg

~ Meido
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rinzai Zen Way: A Guide to Practice
Korinji monastery [臨済宗 • 祖的山光林禅寺]: http://www.korinji.org
Madison Rinzai Zen Community/Ryugen-ji [機山龍源寺]: http://www.madisonrinzaizen.org
The Rinzai Zen Community: http://www.rinzaizen.org
Meido
Teacher

Postby JessicaLeigh on Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:44 pm

Well, Nio looks formidable! Wonderful :) Thank you Meido Roshi for posting this information and the image.

Joe, thank you for your encouraging words. And , I'll remember what you've said about dharma combat ;)
"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." -Andrè Gide
JessicaLeigh

Postby cam101+ on Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:52 am

Well that certainly makes for some wonderful reading! And I especially like the image of my ex mother in law (I wonder how that got here?)

The reading, while really good (and it's 'good' only because I agree w/ what he writes), unfortunately does nothing but fill my head w/ someone else's words. Isn't that what Shosan cautioned against throughout his writing? So I'm back to the cushion, then into the world w/ mindfulness. That's about the extent of my Buddhist practice these days. Wonder why this idea took 20 years to arrive?
cam101+

Return to Rinzai