Welcome admin !

It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:14 am
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Sutras & Zen Records

Reading Red Pine's Lankavatara Sutra

For discussions focused on Sutras and Zen texts, old and new.

Re: Reading Red Pine's Lankavatara Sutra

Postby fukasetsu on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:23 am

Linda Anderson wrote:Fuki,
yes, that is what I mean about goodness in ppl.

Linda,
When the sense of being develops false identification with objects it believes itself to be the body/mind
which is known as the tiny little spark of "Iam" [the primary illusion], with it comes the three-fold consciousness and the sense of presence, the sense of a person, and imagined to have qualities and attributes the sense of a personality. The basic goodness of people, sure, no matter how perverted the sense of a personality may be,

"We" [the dreamy manifest] and the Surpreme are never seperate, the "spark" of goodness or non-violence only becomes the unifier in duality [violence] I trust people, so to speak, for I know they are not what they imagine themselves to be [including my imaginary repository collections of habit energy since beginingless time]
(I just said that to stay on topic) :lol2:
But I pay no attention to the manifest sky flower of body/mind, for those who know nothing other then the conscious body/mind [the personality... a.k.a the "do-ers"] May they be blessed to see the kindness of your Heart, and all Bodhisattva's, so that they at least pay attention to their own "basic goodness."
The talk of illusion are skillful means, just as goodness, and precepts, and Dukkha.

All expierence [duality] is on the level of mind, there is no experience outside of mind, and no delusion (phenomena) outside of mind. Basic goodness or not, there needs to be a thirst for "home" [no being has ever entered Nirvana] it requires Bodhisattvas projecting "themselves" into the dreamy state of sentient beings, saying hey "things aren't as they seem, nor are they not", "you are not who you think you are, in order to found out, practise" etc etc

A few years ago I said something very mean to you on this forum, I apologized to you and that was the end of it. You could have also locked me up in a mental picture and judge me, locking me up in some fixed mental picture you call Fuki, or "the world". You did not, for you trust the basic goodness in ppl.
As such everyone is my teacher, dharmalistically transmitted or not.
When the mind is turned outward distasteful things happen, but in this so called "outside" world the very phenomena of outer teachers as Linda, can immediately transmit the "basic goodness" to the inner teacher.
It is so powerful that the so called personality has no say in this, nor the mind.
All the way prior to the primary illusion (Iamness)

So yes, I trust, not perse [conceptually] the goodness in people due to the manifest [time-space,mind,body,people,world etc]
Then again, one cannot seperate the sunlight from the sun, soul from the Surpeme.
No thing is seperate from the Absolute, because that is what they always are.
Nothing lacking, no way to attain what one already is.
I trust each of them to wake up, for it is inevitable.
Yet there may be talk of illusion, or dreams, for others there may be talk about precepts, or dukkha.
Just as your "goodness of ppl" is the same as my "illusory projections" to each his flavour.
Blessings!
Mijn Oude Vriend uit de woestijn begrijpt geen Nederlands. <3
fukasetsu

Postby Linda Anderson on Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:03 am

Thank you Marcel, that is helpful. I hadn't considered skillful means. You beautifully open the space.
:Namaste:
linda
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby another_being on Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:40 pm

I don't have Red Pine's translation, but just finished the translation by Suzuki and Goddard. There is a term they use repeatedly, "twofold egolessness," and I was wondering if someone could let me know how Red Pine translates this term/phrase. And any comments are appreciated.

Thank you,
John Whisler
"Some people think they are enlightened, some people think they are not enlightened." -- Denko
another_being

Postby Pedestrian on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:51 pm

Can you cite and quote a passage in which you found it? I'll check in my book once you've done that.
"Buddha, to liberate beings, cultivates practices everywhere." Avatamsaka Sutra.

Chris Seishi Amirault
Pedestrian
Benevolent Street Sangha
Pedestrian

Postby Huifeng on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:58 pm

Hi,

While I haven't checked out where it appears, this term refers to the two types of "not self" / "non self", ie. lack of self in a person (pudgala-nairatmya) and lack of a self in phenomena (dharma-nairatmya).

~~ Huifeng
Bhikṣu & Mahāyāna bodhisattva ordination by Ven Master Hsing Yun (星雲大師) et al, Foguang Shan Monastery (佛光山寺) Taiwan.
Teaching: http://buddhist.fgu.edu.tw/main.php Blog: http://prajnacara.blogspot.com/
Huifeng
Teacher

Postby another_being on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:03 am

Wow! Thank you both for the quick replies! I printed off an online source from here (pdf):
http://huntingtonarchive.osu.edu/resources/downloads/sutras/08technicalMayayana/Lankavatara_Sutra%20abridged.pdf (Looks like this is an abridged version...)

In the very first paragraph of the first chapter, it goes, "The three Svabhas, the eight Vijananas, and the twofold egolessness." which concludes that first paragraph.

The very last page of that online version (actually page 37), the author writes about the Tathagata's Nirvana. In the third long sentence it's written: "Nirvana is where the twofold passions have subsided and the twofold hindrances are cleared away and the twofold egolessness is patiently accepted; is where, by the attainment of the "turning-about" in the deepest seat of consciousness, self-realization of Noble Wisdom is fully entered into, -- that is the Nirvana of the Tathagatas.

Thanks for bothering with the request, Pedestrian. Thank you, Venerable Huifeng, for your explanation.

:Namaste:
"Some people think they are enlightened, some people think they are not enlightened." -- Denko
another_being

Postby Carol on Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:37 am

another_being wrote:I don't have Red Pine's translation, but just finished the translation by Suzuki and Goddard. There is a term they use repeatedly, "twofold egolessness," and I was wondering if someone could let me know how Red Pine translates this term/phrase. And any comments are appreciated.

Thank you,
John Whisler

The Suzuki/Goddard translation is abridged and rearranged so that the chapters are not in the same order as the original sutra, so it's nearly impossible to compare the text with other translations. Suzuki's original translation (before the reworking by Goddard some years later) is available on line here: http://lirs.ru/do/lanka_eng/lanka-nondiacritical.htm. Maybe you can find a section that corresponds to what you're talking about that would make it easier for us to compare.
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol
Global Moderator

Postby another_being on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:53 am

Thanks, Carol. I realized after posting that I had read an abridged version and my notes weren't really easy to follow. Probably best if I just seek it through our library system or order one for myself.
another_being

Postby Mothers Lap on Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:35 pm

Has anybody read both Red Pine's and Cleary's translations of this sutra? How do they compare?
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
Bhaiṣajyaguruvaiḍūryaprabharāja
Mothers Lap

Previous

Return to Sutras & Zen Records