Welcome admin !

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:38 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Sōtō

on what are you sitting on?

Discussion of Japanese Sōtō Zen / 曹洞宗

Re: on what are you sitting on?

Postby Michaeljc on Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:56 am

Hey Joe:

Give me a provocative post anytime, intellectually or otherwise. Here's to the lovely taste of "sour" citrus Lemon. Cutting! Balsamic vinaigrette... . All five tastes are OK by me, if I'm honest. Actually, I think many of us can give as well as we get, in view of advancing the Dharma. Sometimes, it's "whatever-it-takes" (still within the TOU, mind you).
:)

Cheers

m
Michaeljc

Postby jundo on Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:13 am

Coming in to the conversation a bit late, I tell students to wedge the Zafu. Spine should be slightly forward of central axis, and sitting should be completely on the front half of the Zafu. It provides nice lift and forward support. Also, the Zafu does not press into the legs as much which, I believe, prevents tingly leg syndrome from pressure on the sciatic nerve.

Gassho, J

SatToday
Founder Treeleaf Zendo, Japan. Member SZBA. Treeleaf is an online Sangha for those unable to commute to a Sangha, w/ netcast Zazen, interaction with other practitioners and teachers & all activities of a Soto Sangha, fully online without charge (http://www.treeleaf.org) Nishijima/Niwa
jundo
Teacher

Postby Jok_Hae on Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:17 am

jundo wrote:
macdougdoug wrote: This is because if I sit cross legged before the kinhin I'm unable to walk as one of my legs always goes dead.

Hi Doug,

This is probably because you are pressing on the sciatic nerve while sitting. You may be sitting too far back on the Zafu so that the Zafu itself is pressing that point. It depends on the circumference of the Zafu, but generally you should be sitting on the front half or third of the Zafu so that it forms a wedge, and is not pressing the leg so. In any case, if you leg starts to go dead, you can gently shift your weight by leaning very slightly to the side so that the pressure is taken off that leg. Feeling should fully return in a minute.

Gassho, Jundo

Agree with Jundo's advice, re' zafu position. I was taught by someone to set my legs, with the zafu behind me. Then, lean forward and drag the zafu underneath my butt. This keeps it centered under my coccyx and not too far under my thighs. If I sit too far back, my legs go to sleep within 10 minutes. It's very repeatable. Of course, every body is different, but it might be worth it to take a look at the position of the zafu.

Good luck and thanks for practicing,
Keith
You make, you get

New Haven Zen Center
Jok_Hae

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:35 am

jundo wrote:...I tell students to wedge the Zafu. Spine should be slightly forward of central axis, and sitting should be completely on the front half of the Zafu. It provides nice lift and forward support. Also, the Zafu does not press into the legs as much which, I believe, prevents tingly leg syndrome from pressure on the sciatic nerve.

Thanks for that additional data-point, Jundo. Michael!, take note, please... .

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Michaeljc on Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:06 am

desert_woodworker wrote:
jundo wrote:...I tell students to wedge the Zafu. Spine should be slightly forward of central axis, and sitting should be completely on the front half of the Zafu. It provides nice lift and forward support. Also, the Zafu does not press into the legs as much which, I believe, prevents tingly leg syndrome from pressure on the sciatic nerve.

Thanks for that additional data-point, Jundo. Michael!, take note, please... .

--Joe

? Joe, where did you get the idea that I made any comments on the Zafu? I am yet to see any sitter use one in anything but a wedge fashion, as I do my self

Cheers

m
Michaeljc

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:33 pm

Michaeljc wrote:? Joe, where did you get the idea that I made any comments on the Zafu? I am yet to see any sitter use one in anything but a wedge fashion, as I do my self

Michael, your pretending to have a memory like a steel-sieve is not going to save you. See below, to remind yourself.

Michaeljc wrote:
desert_woodworker wrote: I find it's good to use a cushion as a "wedge", rather than to be sat on flat as a "lozenge", in cross-legged sitting. This keeps the back-muscles from engaging.

Hey Joe: You do sit Zazen (like, every day) ??

I am not picking up the aroma of a steady practitioner in your posts

It's at the point of my doubting any value in engaging with you.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Previous

Return to Sōtō