Welcome admin !

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:33 am
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Sōtō

Wisdom from your teacher

Discussion of Japanese Sōtō Zen / 曹洞宗

Wisdom from your teacher

Postby zenci on Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:52 am

What big piece of wisdom has your teacher imparted on you that moved your practice over an obstacle?
zenci

Re: Wisdom from your teacher

Postby jundo on Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:57 am

zenci wrote:What big piece of wisdom has your teacher imparted on you that moved your practice over an obstacle?

Once, when I had some kind of got too big for my britches, and thought I had "understood" and was "enlightened" ... he brought be back down to earth and told me to clean the toilet.

Gassho, J

PS - (Turns out that Buddha is in the filthy toilet too, as well as everywhere on this great earth, but that is a story for another day).
Last edited by jundo on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Founder Treeleaf Zendo, Japan. Member SZBA. Treeleaf is an online Sangha for those unable to commute to a Sangha, w/ netcast Zazen, interaction with other practitioners and teachers & all activities of a Soto Sangha, fully online without charge (http://www.treeleaf.org) Nishijima/Niwa
jundo
Teacher

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:00 am

Mostly, compassion and kindness have worked wonders. And...

Don't neglect physical practice (although zazen itself is also admittedly largely "physical").

This is not just for rough patches or self-perceived "obstacle" circumvention, or dissolution. It is a sine qua non of training ...without which everything may unfortunately be experienced as an "obstacle".

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby lobster on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:47 am

zenci wrote:What big piece of wisdom has your teacher imparted on you that moved your practice over an obstacle?

That is a wonderful question. :hugs:

I got more overt wisdom from a book then anything ever said or imparted. However the covert or transmitted 'wisdom' was one of behavour. That was never ending. I am very pleased to say I was never given any big piece of anything approaching 'wisdom' ... my teacher was not a Zenith but a Pratyekabuddha. He did let me ride his bike if that is of any help :tee:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratyekabuddha

Ay caramba! :hide:
lobster

Postby macdougdoug on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:29 am

During my first 10 day meditation retreat I was cast into a state of doubt because everything the teacher said seemed to be wrong. Eschewing even the strange meditation technique that we were supposed to use, I continued to just sit zazen (very intensively, we seemed to sit pretty much all the time). At the end of this exhausting regime, all obstacles, and even the guy competing in the the obstacle course, suddenly dissapeared.

So I thank the meditation guru for all the bogus stuff he offered. But I also thank all the other stuff that happened before that which led me to being like I was and being in that place.

I suppose thats more dumb than wisdom. If I had to choose the wisest stuff that my teachers have said, it would have to be :

a) "You're a jolly good fellow" and
b) "the observer is the observed".
macdougdoug
Global Moderator

Postby macdougdoug on Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:06 pm

So, just to resume, on the road to enlightenment one should find : some dirty toilets, a bit of yoga and zazen, a couple of good books and a bit of mystical mumbo jumbo.

:Namaste:
macdougdoug
Global Moderator

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:26 pm

I'd also say that Wisdom (true Wisdom; prajna) comes from within, not from without.

This requires awakening, so that true Wisdom and true Compassion (original Human inheritances) are no longer covered-up, but are free to operate spontaneously and simultaneously in seamless accord with conditions and circumstances just as they arise.

Someone else's Wisdom is not one's own. Therefore, the OP question is unfortunately rather ill-formed, but nonetheless I note that some here have impulsively or compassionately answered it anyway. :whatever:

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Avisitor on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:43 pm

To forget those experiences one has and to continue to move on with practice
I am guessing that if one gets all engrossed in one's experiences then one falls into another trap
To reach the farthest depths of this mind .. requires one not to get caught up in ones own drama

Forget I said that
Disclaimer: There is no intent to be offensive in my posts. None was intended and none should be interpreted as such.
Avisitor

Postby desert_woodworker on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:47 pm

Av,

Avisitor wrote:To reach the farthest depths of this mind .. requires one not to get caught up in ones own drama

Nice.

We might make a mathematical inequality out of that, too, and say:

"Dharma does not equal drama".

Well, not usually. :tongueincheek:

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby Jok_Hae on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:25 pm

My teacher just showing up, time after time, is enough wisdom for me. I mean that sincerely.

:peace:
You make, you get

New Haven Zen Center
Jok_Hae

Postby lobster on Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:15 am

macdougdoug wrote:So, just to resume, on the road to enlightenment one should find : some dirty toilets, a bit of yoga and zazen, a couple of good books and a bit of mystical mumbo jumbo.

:)X
Seems like a plan. Let's abandon it! :hide:
lobster

Postby ed blanco on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:50 pm

Twoo weeks ago he told me to read Master Sheng-yen's METHOD OF NO METHOD and get back to basic.
It worked very well. It is working still.

:O:
IT SPEAKS IN SILENCE
IN SPEECH YOU HEAR ITS SILENCE

Yongjia Xuanjue
ed blanco

Postby anka on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:38 pm

A dharma talk from a Zen master in the Kwan Um scool started like this.

"Welcome Everyone.

I am going to start by answering a question I am often asked. What is the meaning of life? To be honest, I don't know, but I am okay with that."

Hearing a response like this to that question was refreshing and it challenged my then understanding of Zen Master's and enlightenment.
anka

Postby lobster on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:38 am

I do like to think of a teacher as an obstacle course or better yet a companion ... :ghug:

Like a tree we sit beneath, wondering why no apples fall ... :blush:

One of my greatest teachers was a street light. Not needed during the day. It reminded me that everything is a reflection of its being ... :lool:
lobster

Postby Sparkle on Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:05 pm

The SIMPLE instruction for Zazen regarding thoughts... "When various thoughts arise in your mind, do not become caught up by them or struggle with them; neither pursue nor try to escape from them. Just leave thoughts alone, allowing them to come up and go away freely. The essential thing in doing zazen is to awaken from distraction and dullness, and return to the right posture moment by moment."

AAAAH... I thought... But all this leads to an "empty mind"...what they REALLY MEAN, is - as soon as you are ABLE, STOP THE Thoughts... So I decided I will strain like mad, jump on every thought.

Even though I had heard/read this teaching over and over... Hundreds of times I still kept plugging away with my own version of Zazen.

It was FOUR YEARS before I realised "they" really meant this. It was a bit of a punch in the guts.

My advice would be - do as you are told. Sometimes IT IS just as simple as it seems.
Last edited by Sparkle on Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparkle

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:09 pm

Sparkle wrote:Even though I had heard/read this teaching over and over... Hundreds of times I still kept plugging away with my own version of Zazen.

It was FOUR YEARS before I realised "they" really meant this. It was a bit of a punch in the guts.

My advice would be - do as you are told. Sometimes IT IS just as simple as it seems.

:rbow: :)X :Namaste:
Thanks, Stu!

This is golden.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby lobster on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:20 am

:woot:

I wonder what small piece of wisdom I have retained? :blush:

- Be kind - check (as opposed to WHAT?)
- Pay attention - check (good life plan whilst awake)
- Carpe diem - check (well that came from NCIS on TV - but it involves fish)

As for the Buddha, did he never stop talking?
lobster

Postby jundo on Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:36 am

Sparkle wrote:The SIMPLE instruction for Zazen regarding thoughts... "When various thoughts arise in your mind, do not become caught up by them or struggle with them; neither pursue nor try to escape from them. Just leave thoughts alone, allowing them to come up and go away freely. The essential thing in doing zazen is to awaken from distraction and dullness, and return to the right posture moment by moment."

AAAAH... I thought... But all this leads to an "empty mind"...what they REALLY MEAN, is - as soon as you are ABLE, STOP THE Thoughts... So I decided I will strain like mad, jump on every thought.

Even though I had heard/read this teaching over and over... Hundreds of times I still kept plugging away with my own version of Zazen.

Founder Treeleaf Zendo, Japan. Member SZBA. Treeleaf is an online Sangha for those unable to commute to a Sangha, w/ netcast Zazen, interaction with other practitioners and teachers & all activities of a Soto Sangha, fully online without charge (http://www.treeleaf.org) Nishijima/Niwa
jundo
Teacher

Postby Sam on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:29 pm

Here is an inspiring quote from Drop of Dhamma Delight (https://what-buddha-said.net/drops/IV/The_Egoless.htm):

The Blessed Buddha once said:
'I am' is an illusion. 'This I am' is an illusion. 'I shall be' is an illusion.
'I shall not become this or that' is an illusion. 'I shall be of form' is an illusion.
'I shall become formless' is an illusion. 'I shall become endowed with perception' is an illusion.
'I shall become without any perception' is an illusion. 'I shall become neither with nor without
perception' is an illusion. Any Ego-illusion is torture, a mind cancer, and a thorn in the future...
If, however, all illusion is overcome, one is called a stilled one, a sage. And the stilled one, the sage,
is reborn no more, grows old no more, nor accumulates any future deaths. Why not?
That craving, through which he could be reborn, is all eliminated!
If he is not reborn, how can he ever grow old? If he never grows old, how can he ever die?
If one never dies again, how ever to be in panic? If neither in any panic, nor in any urge,
how can one ever be haunted by any craving, longing or hoping? This thus ends Suffering!

Freedom from old age and death is a wonderful thing! The Dhamma delights!
Sam

Postby lobster on Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:50 am

“When I speak of good hearing, I do not mean listening to others; I mean simply listening to yourself. When I speak of good eyesight, I do not mean looking at others; I mean simply looking at yourself. He who does not look at himself but looks at others, who does not get hold of himself but gets hold of others, is getting what other men have got and failing to get what he himself has got. He finds joy in what brings joy to other men, but finds no joy in what would bring joy to himself.”
― Zhuangzi, The Complete Works of Chuang Tzu :dance:
lobster

Next

Return to Sōtō