Welcome admin !

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:35 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Sōtō

Cold feet

Discussion of Japanese Sōtō Zen / 曹洞宗

Re: Cold feet

Postby desert_woodworker on Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:03 pm

z.,

zafu wrote: ...its like getting engaged to be married and realising that you eye is already wandering towards other women...!

I don't see how.

Again, I would emphasize that, from my point of view, when one takes jukai, one makes a commitment to the Dharma. Following this, one aligns progressively and more steadily with the dharma in daily life through the practice of the Precepts and the Refuges taken in jukai. Where's the wandering?, except in the possible breaking of precepts, or forgetting our taking refuge in Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha.

Maybe you are thinking about "commitment" to a Buddhist school.

You will, at jukai, be given a blood lineage chart, a Kechimyaku, showing your place in the descendence from Shakyamuni Buddha to the present head of your Zen Buddhist temple. Maybe you will be the 84th or 85th generation, I forget.

See Wikipedia, e.g., on the Kechimyaku:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kechimyaku

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby zafu on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:25 am

desert_woodworker wrote:

Is that not Jukai is (as well as the Precepts)?
zafu

Postby Caodemarte on Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:55 pm

zafu wrote:
desert_woodworker wrote:

It is certainly commitment to the precepts and the Bodhisattva way. I don't know about committing to a specific Buddhist sect.
Caodemarte
Global Moderator

Postby desert_woodworker on Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:35 pm

zafu, M.,

zafu wrote:
desert_woodworker wrote:Maybe you are thinking about "commitment" to a Buddhist school.

I think that if a person is practicing in a certain school, one has a commitment to, and a trust of, that way of practice.

But, it is practice which is informed by the school's familiarity and intimacy with the Buddha-Dao, and the Dharma. I'd say that one can change one's commitment to 'school' and to 'teacher', but one does not change one's commitment to the Dao or Dharma.

A school is a tool (for waking up, and sharing awakening). Or, a tool kit.

It's good to use one tool or pack of tools skilfully and completely. One doesn't so much 'commit monogamously' to a school as one wisely concentrates one's attention and practice on the ways the school has worked-out to help people to awaken within it.

Mixing and matching can diffuse and defuse the power of the practice methods and logic of progress of distinct schools' ways of working.

("Serial-monogamy" is probably a better plan than "parallel-infidelity"). :tongueincheek:

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Previous

Return to Sōtō