Welcome admin !

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:21 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Sōtō

Flowers of Emptiness - Hee-Jin Kim

Discussion of Japanese Sōtō Zen / 曹洞宗

Flowers of Emptiness - Hee-Jin Kim

Postby noorcasta on Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:04 am

Hello all. I am desperately looking for the book by Hee.Jin Kim "Flowers of Emptiness - Selections from Dogen's Shobogenzo" in an e.book format or or a used copy of it.
Does anyone on this forum have it?
Thank you.

From nothing all beings as beings come to be. (Heidegger)
noorcasta

Re: Flowers of Emptiness - Hee-Jin Kim

Postby partofit22 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:27 pm

Don't know where you live, but you might want to try worldcat.org to see if a library in your area has a copy-
partofit22

Postby desert_woodworker on Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:18 pm

N.,

Interesting. I see it selling "used" for no less than $75 US for the ppbk., and at $200 - $300 for the hardcover.

I don't have the book, but if I did, I'd probably sell it to a motivated buyer.

I have Yokoi's little (Weatherhill) book of selections from and commentary on Dogen.

Welcome to ZFI. Just book-buying? (or maybe you'll stay). Good luck in the search.

:Namaste:

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby noorcasta on Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:46 pm

Thanks to both!
I live in Spain. I tried worldcat, the nearest libraries that have this book are far away - but i'll keep searching. Thanks for the advice
Yes, i've seen in it on Amazon, and several other sites and the cheapest is the one for about 68 euros with shipping. It's expensive...
No digital copies exist, apart from one chapter on Scribd. I'm more interested in Kim's commentary than on the translation. His other works on Dogen (Mystical Realist, Dogen on Meditation and Thinking) have inspired me with his lucid and profound knowledge and way of exposition.

I am a newcomer to Zen, attracted to its philosophy (or anti-philosophy). I came to it from the study of Heidegger, then through Kyoto School to Nagarjuna, and now mainly Dogen and Hua Yen Buddhism.

This forum seems great. I am looking forward to participating in it. Thanks.

From nothing all beings as beings come to be. (Heidegger)
noorcasta

Postby partofit22 on Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:37 am

Most libraries provide a service called interlibrary loan- Your local library can request a copy from libraries worldwide- All you have to do is fill out a form at the circulation desk- If the book is overseas, a small fee is required to cover shipping fees-
partofit22

Return to Sōtō