Welcome admin !

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:22 pm
Pathway:  Board index Zen Discussion Forum Zen Practice & Philosophy Zen Buddhism Sōtō

Kyogen Carlson's Passing

Discussion of Japanese Sōtō Zen / 曹洞宗

Kyogen Carlson's Passing

Postby Nonin on Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:30 pm

All,

Kyogen Carlson, a noted Soto Zen Buddhist master, suffered a major heart attack this morning. He was on his way to oryoki breakfast but collapsed and was taken via ambulance to the hospital, where he passed away soon after arriving. He was co-abbot of Dharma Rain Zen Center in Portland, Oregon with his wife, Gokukyo.

This is shocking and tragic news. My heart goes out to Gyokuko, the rest of the Dharma Rain sangha, and to Kyogen's many friends in and out of Soto Zen. He was a dear friend to me, and he'd just ended an e-mail by saying that he hoped we'd meet again soon. I'm deeply saddened that it won't happen.

Nonin
Soto Zen Buddhist Priest. Transmitted Dharma Heir of Dainin Katagiri Roshi.
Abbot and Head Teacher, Nebraska Zen Center / Heartland Temple, Omaha, Nebraska, USA
http://www.prairiewindzen.org
Nonin
Teacher

Re: Kyogen Carlson's Passing

Postby partofit22 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:41 pm

I'm very sorry for your loss, Nonin, and sad that you lost your dear friend so suddenly- I'll be thinking of you-

Teresa
partofit22

Postby Caodemarte on Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:50 am

Condolences to you, the family, and all on the loss.
Caodemarte
Global Moderator

Postby Avisitor on Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:07 am

I am very sorry to hear of your loss.
It is always very sad when someone we know passes away.
Condolences to all on the loss.
Disclaimer: There is no intent to be offensive in my posts. None was intended and none should be interpreted as such.
Avisitor

Postby Carol on Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:53 am

Very sad news, indeed, for the Dharma Rain Sangha and all who knew and cared for him. Very sorry for your loss, Nonin.

~Carol
Practitioners who cultivate the personal realization of buddha knowledge dwell in the bliss of whatever is present and do not abandon their practice.
~Lankavatara Sutra
Carol

Postby desert_woodworker on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:24 am

Dear Nonin,

My heart goes out to you for your loss.

The name of his sangha has a lovely ring, refreshing to the ear of a desert-dweller -- "Dharma Rain".

May he rest in peace.

--Joe
desert_woodworker

Postby fukasetsu on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:32 pm

Sorry for your loss Nonin, and everyone involved.
May he and all find deep peace in the light of unconditional love.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby Gregory Wonderwheel on Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:27 pm

Keeping the dream alive.
In memoriam,

Is Nothing Sacred?

What is “sacred?” Why have we human beings, throughout our existence on this earth, nearly universally created rituals and images invoking the sacred? How do we use the word today, and just what does it really mean? What then, if anything, fits that definition? Does Buddhism, specifically Zen, point us toward the sacred? What about the zen of “everyday mind,” and “nothing special”? What’s holy, or sacred about that? Join us for the Dharma Talk this Sunday as co-abbot Kyogen Carlson explores these and related questions.

Kyogen's most recently posted talk given Sunday, August 31, 2014.

His talk begins: "Moses, Jesus, and an old bearded guy are playing golf...."

May the rain of Dharma continue to fall on all without discrimination, and tickle the funny bones without falling into the sacred and profane.

_/|\_
Gregory

P.S. Here is the index of Dharma Talks available from Dharma Rain.
Why you do not understand is because the three carts were provisional for former times, and because the One Vehicle is true for the present time. ~ Zen Master 6th Ancestor Huineng
Gregory Wonderwheel
Global Moderator

Postby Jok_Hae on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:11 pm

Very sorry to hear this, Reverend.

Ji Jang Bosal
Ji Jang Bosal
Ji Jang Bosal

_/\_
You make, you get

New Haven Zen Center
Jok_Hae

Postby unsui on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:20 pm

Deep sorrow and gratitude. I send condolences, compassion and strength. The stars are shining here tonight.
May we extend This Mind over the whole universe so that we and all beings together may attain maturity in Buddha's wisdom
unsui

Postby Chrisd on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:32 pm

Very sorry for your loss. Best wishes.
Chrisd

Postby Seeker242 on Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:26 am

Ji Jang Bosal :buddha:
Kill a cat, with a dried shit stick, under a cypress tree in the courtyard, while eating three pounds of flax! Only a cow goes Moooo!
Seeker242

Postby Linda Anderson on Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:22 am

Sending Condolences to you Nonin and all who loved him.
linda
Not last night,
not this morning;
Melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Linda Anderson

Postby Sparkle on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:10 pm

So shocking! So sad!

It just seems like we have lost so many good teachers in the last few years.

I dread these posts...
Sparkle

Postby So-on Mann on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:47 pm

Hello everyone,

It has been far too long since I have said hello to all of you.

My heart is so heavy with the passing of my teacher Kyogen. He was so vital and full of life, and had an eye on the future of Dharma Rain. The new sodo is going up on DRZCs new property, they will even be able to host their first retreat at Segaki.

Kyogen and Gyokuko were looking forward to passing the reins to their dharma heirs and retiring. I cannot imagine what she and the monks are going through.

My heart also especially goes out to those students who have been deeply engaged in sanzen with him. I know if Kyogen had passed 7 or 8 years ago, I would have been a lost soul.

But having wrangled with him over the nature of self and my place in the world, having tread the path that he so gently pointed out for me, I will be FINE.

I am ever so grateful. :Namaste:
Facing a precious mirror, form and reflection behold each other. You are not it, but in truth it is you.
So-on Mann

Postby fukasetsu on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:37 am

My deepest sympathies to you too, Lisa.

I remember you spoke often of him with gratitude and grace.
Everyone for President!
fukasetsu

Postby TTT on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:17 pm

Sad for your loss. I have seen Kyogen Carlson in an image. I was in the webpage of Dharma rains three of four times.
When
TTT

Postby pdxdharma84 on Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:40 pm

I did not know Kyogen nearly as well as others, but he touched my life in very real and significant ways. I had practiced on and off for a few years, but I remember about a decade or so ago going to Dharma Rain and Kyogen was wearing a pink triangle button on his robes. He later gave a dharma talk about compassion and how it related to what was happening in the world (the president, G. W. Bush was attempting to make a Constitutional ban on gay marriage.) Kyogen was talking about solidarity, in a subtle and gentle way. He spoke about how the pink triangle was used to mark a homosexual in the Nazi concentration camps. I haven't forgotten that talk.

Years later I got into trouble. I had been caught embezzling from my place of work and was facing prison time. I hadn't been practicing in years at this point but I met with Kyogen prior to turning myself in. He said a lot of very wise things, but his main point was to face this, experience it and not turn away from it.

I like to think that I did. While in prison I participated Jukai and committed myself to this path.

He visited myself and other guys who had a meditation practice in prison. He had remarkable gravitas in those situations, while still being approachable and warm.

I released in September 2014 and made plans to contact Kyogen, but wanted to wait until I had the details of my life in order first. He passed away before we had the meeting.

I went to the memorial ceremony (well, one of them) and it was really touching to learn more about him, his life and his devotion to helping others and build a strong lay community in Portland. His memory still motivates me to take an ethical path, to continue my practice and work with the Precepts. Its still difficult for me to wrap my mind around the fact that he is gone. He was such an important pillar in our community.
pdxdharma84

Postby pdxdharma84 on Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:27 pm

An image of the paper crane that was given to the attendees at Kyogen's memorial.
pdxdharma84

Postby partofit22 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:13 am

pdxdharma84 wrote:I did not know Kyogen nearly as well as others, but he touched my life in very real and significant ways. I had practiced on and off for a few years, but I remember about a decade or so ago going to Dharma Rain and Kyogen was wearing a pink triangle button on his robes. He later gave a dharma talk about compassion and how it related to what was happening in the world (the president, G. W. Bush was attempting to make a Constitutional ban on gay marriage.) Kyogen was talking about solidarity, in a subtle and gentle way. He spoke about how the pink triangle was used to mark a homosexual in the Nazi concentration camps. I haven't forgotten that talk.

Years later I got into trouble. I had been caught embezzling from my place of work and was facing prison time. I hadn't been practicing in years at this point but I met with Kyogen prior to turning myself in. He said a lot of very wise things, but his main point was to face this, experience it and not turn away from it.

I like to think that I did. While in prison I participated Jukai and committed myself to this path.

He visited myself and other guys who had a meditation practice in prison. He had remarkable gravitas in those situations, while still being approachable and warm.

I released in September 2014 and made plans to contact Kyogen, but wanted to wait until I had the details of my life in order first. He passed away before we had the meeting.

I went to the memorial ceremony (well, one of them) and it was really touching to learn more about him, his life and his devotion to helping others and build a strong lay community in Portland. His memory still motivates me to take an ethical path, to continue my practice and work with the Precepts. Its still difficult for me to wrap my mind around the fact that he is gone. He was such an important pillar in our community.

Thank you for your honesty and passing along the guidance to face, experience and not turn away.
partofit22

Return to Sōtō